It's important to always be prepared for your lifestyle newborn session.
But don't forget things happen! So always be relaxed and enjoy it!
- Keep Baby Warm
- Try and keep your baby awake for at least 1 – 2 hours before the session.
- Loosen Up Clothing. It is also important to loosen up your baby’s clothing and diapers before the photo shoot. This will give any little red marks that resemble clothing seams time to disappear before picture time.
- Feed and Burp Baby Before the Shoot. If your baby has a full tummy they are far more likely to be agreeable throughout a photo shoot.
- Swaddle for Sleepiness - Babies like being wrapped up snugly in a blanket when they are sleeping.
- Prep Yourself Too! - Chances are you and your partner and or sibling will be in at least a few pictures as well. If you are prepped before the session begins, you will be less stressful. In any case, when choosing your outfit, it is best to avoid wearing distracting patterns, big logos etc. Try to pick natural coloured clothing that match.
- Keep Yourself Calm! Relax and have fun!
- 8. Safety! Safety is my utmost number one priority when handling your baby, so either mum or dad will be my spotter/assistant. All eyes and hands are to be kept around baby during posing. During the session I will be handling and posing baby, but don't worry I have plenty of experience handling a newborn.
- Patience is key! - Newborn sessions can last anywhere from 2-4 hours. It all depends on baby mood and willingness to sleep. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can predict! We ask that everyone remain calm, should he/she not want to sleep, since your baby will pick up on any frustration in your room. And if sleep doesn't happen, thats ok! Wide-eyed newborn photographs are beautiful too!
- The Nose Knows! - As a mother, your smell is so recognisable to your baby, that it maybe necessary for mum to step out of the room for a portion of the session. This is not meant to hurt your feelings, only to allow us to help get those baby thinking, sleepy thoughts, instead of wheres my milk.
- Skin-To-Skin Portraits - I'm such a big fan of skin to skin portraits with you holding your baby against you. They're so simple and timeless. So if you want some portraits like this with your newborn, consider a strapless top or tank as an alternative.
- For The Daddies! - Dads, your hands play a major role in this session so its important you tend to them to! You will be handling your baby a bit and its a good idea to touch up on grooming. Trim and tidy your nails and apply lotion to your skin. Clothing? A long or short sleeved knit or shirt always works! Not to baggy of course and under shirts also work well. I suggest you NOT wear button down shorts, and make sure your t-shirts are free of logos or text. Plain is the best!
- Make The Bed!! - Is there anything better than a nicely made bed?! We might suggest moving the session to your bedroom at some point, if that appeals to you. A solid blanket/comforter works great, I highly recommend white to cream bedding without lots of patterns. Keep things light and airy.